Sunday, 17 July 2011

it's about time

They say, what doesn't kill you will only make you stronger.

So true.

So I spent the past 5 days in bed trying to get over a major flu episode. I spent the first 3 days drifting in and out of sleep at home. Alone. Miserable. Physically tormented and emotionally drained.

And you know when your soul is weary, your body cries out for healing. I think this is the case.
I've been so busy at work for the past 7 months that I'd never really addressed my issues that I should have addressed ages ago and I think this is all taking its toll on my mental state and health.

And between all the panadol popping and fever episodes, I found myself a new hobby - crying. Sometimes few times a day. I was thinking, what have I done? Why am I sick and alone? If I was still with the guy I was with, would he have taken care of me? Is it the kind of "single life" I had envisioned for myself when I broke off my 6 year relationship? Where is that earth-shaking, passionate love I dropped everything for?

I clearly knew my relationship was over. But I always managed to brush the topic off every time I asked myself what my next move would be. That's the good thing about being a working girl - burying yourself at work does work. When my best friend recently told me that one of her patients was dead in her own house for 8 years before someone found her body. I joked that I would get a dog that would dial 911 for me. But really, deep down, I knew that could very well be me.

I checked myself in at Epworth Emergency on Wednesday. There was a slightly overweight and frumpy looking Asian girl sitting next to me. She was in the arms of another overweight and even frumpier looking young man. And I asked myself, "why am I here alone?"  Shouldn't there be someone for me too? There, my tears started rolling down my cheeks. And they just wouldn't stop for the rest of the morning.

The most dreadful thing about being an incubus of a viral plague is it forces you to be alone. Utterly alone. I had never been short of company (be it male or female) for the past 7 months. My social life has kept me very busy. I enjoyed being worshipped by my suitors and I was fluttering from one man to another  - mostly bankers (lol). I never once missed the comfort of my previous relationship. Why have one when you can have them ALL?

But the past few days has forced me to learn to deal with my issues and fears in solitude. It's like rehab. I had 2 days of awful withdrawal symptoms and then one day I woke up, free.

I've come into terms that my previous relationship is truly over and I am on my own now. And I've also come to the realization that I am not married because I have standards and I know I won't be happy unless I find someone who meets these standards. And because I have standards, I get to decide who is lucky enough to ride with me.

After all, 28 is an awfully young age to compromise on what you want in life.

So here I am, alive and well again. Ready for a new chapter.

There's nothing worth crying about - not when you have just received your quarterly bonus. *wink*




8 comments:

  1. Dear Adela,

    I've been reading your blog way back since the Xanga days. Really glad to see you're back blogging.

    There's always a rainbow after the storm! Do cheer up.

    <3
    Adeline

    ReplyDelete
  2. thank you. And I finally bought a new camera AND tripod! So i promise more photos would come ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Big thumbs up to you! I completely understand how hard it was to walk away with your head high and your emotions in a turmoil. When I was younger, I walked away from an 8 year relationship and first fiance. You are so right about trusting your gut feelings and not settling for anything less. In retrospect, once you've re-established yourself, all the pain will be a memory and "the one" will be a bright and better future.

    We all get too comfortable once in a long-term relationship. We also don't wanna let go with all the "time invested" in the relationship. Also, we fear being alone.

    You're beautiful, smart and doing great on your own. I love reading your blogs (new and Xanga) so do keep them up.

    Cheers.
    Angie

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i have read your blog for ages and i really do believe you will get through this with your head held high, you are a very strong woman i think even though sometimes you may cry a few times in a day...

    better things will come your way for sure :) bless you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh wow I'm a guy .. been reading your xanga blog for ages ... i was wondering what happened during the long break that you didn't write.

    well.. you know I was always kind of impressed how you managed to maintain your relationship yet progress at what you were doing as well as continuing to have an alpha personality. sad to here it didn't work.
    o

    I just want to say something about compromise. only because you mentioned it . I kind of thought that your relationship sounded like a compromise. just how you got together and when you mentioned looks. really very minor but that's what crops into my mind

    ReplyDelete
  7. @angie & adela,

    always been a silent reader and never felt the need to leave a word or two in your comment box..but after your post and angie's comment, i've come to realize that i am so relieved that i am not alone - 28 yo, peak of my white collar career, great social life, 6 year relationship and not a slightest itch to be hitched to him. Haven't had the heart nor courage to take the leap but i know for the full fact that when i do, there will be horrible mourning period of an old comfy, familiar life gone but i will be okay. eventually.

    we should form a club for girls like us :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. i'm so sorry for the late reply, people~
    life is good. You learn from every mistake you made. I'm truly well and happy at the moment. :)

    ReplyDelete